Do you and your family have a favorite breakfast ritual? Is there anything special that y’all do concerning breakfast on those days everyone can enjoy it together?
For our family,Â it’s eating outdoors on the picnic table when the weather permits. And we have been known to eat out there even when the wind was blowing so hard you had to anchor everything down to keep it on the table.
There’s just something about eating outdoors, looking out over the lake that enhances any meal. Maybe it’s because the experience relaxes you and you’re able to enjoy your meal that much better without the interruptions you have indoors from TVs and such.
You can take simple dishes and make them an enjoyable meal. You have little stress preparing the food and the time to enjoy the simple pleasures of those you’re with.
One of our favorite breakfast meals is homemade fries and an English muffin filled with ham, scrambled egg and a slice of Kraft Velveeta Sharp Cheddar Cheese. Pair that with a cup of fresh ground Dark Italian Roast coffee and you have a delicious combination.
A meal doesn’t have to always be fancy and elegant to be enjoyed. The time you spend enjoying the meal with family and friends is what makes it special.
I start with four average size potatoes, wash and pat dry. Then cut them into wedges leaving the skins on. Put enough Canola oil in a skillet to cover the potatoes completely. Turn the oil on high to begin with. Once it’s heated up, turn the heat to medium, add potatoes carefully and cook until golden brown, turning occasionally.
While the potatoes are cooking, cut English muffins in half and toast. Just pop them in the toaster to achieve your desired texture.
Using a cookie cutter (or plastic Tupperware container like I do), cut the ham and cheese into circles the same size as the muffins. Scramble your eggs, but leave them in an omelete-like texture so you can also cut circles out of them. You can add the excess pieces from the circles to the muffins if you want a little extra in your muffin. You can add butter, mayonnaise, mustard or nothing to your muffin before you begin assembling it.
When the potatoes are done, carefully remove them and place on paper towels to drain. Quickly sprinkle your choice of seasoning on them. I use Lawry’s Garlic Salt and fresh ground black pepper for a nice bite.
Assemble your muffins and home fries on a plate, grab a cup of coffee and joins us at the picnic table. It’s a great way to enjoy good food, good company, and watch the boaters go by.
- 4 Average size potatoes
- 2 Large eggs
- 2 Slices Kraft Velveeta Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Slices cooked sandwich ham
- 2 English muffins
- Canola oil
- Lawry's Garlic Salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Wash and dry potatoes, cut into wedges. Heat Canola oil in skillet (enough to completely cover potatoes). Once oil is hot, turn down to medium heat and carefully add potatoes. Cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Scramble eggs in a splash of Canola oil. Cook until the texture of an omelet and remove.
- Cut English muffins in half and toast.
- Using cookie cutter, cut circles the size of the muffins in the eggs, ham and cheese. Excess from the circles can be added to the muffins.
- You can add butter, mayonnaise, mustard or nothing to the muffins and then begin your assembly. Place the ham, cheese and egg on a muffin half, top with the other muffin half and place on a plate.
- When the home fries are golden brown, carefully remove from oil and place on paper towels to drain. Sprinkle your choice of seasonings (garlic salt, black pepper, etc.) on the fries while they are piping hot. Add to plate with English muffin and serve.
- The home fries are good by themselves or dabbed in your favorite condiments.